Endocrinology including thyroid, pituitary disorders and reproductive endocrinology.
I attend a twice monthly Thyroid Multidisciplinary Meeting. I was Chair of the Thyroid Tumour Sub-Group of Head and Neck Tumour Board of North Central London from 2009-2011.
I consult at a four-monthly Adolescent Thyroid Clinic at the Middlesex Hospital with Prof Mehul Dattani which receives tertiary referrals for management of children with thyroid disease.
From 1997 until April 2007 I was a member of the Combined Pituitary Clinic with Consultant Neurosurgeon Mr M Powell at the National Hospital.
Diabetes mellitus including patients with type 1 (including insulin pump therapy) and complex type 2 diabetes
I have experience in the management of patients with diabetes who have had renal transplants, those on haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis and also those with low clearance. I have led a multidisciplinary ward round and supervised in-patients with diabetes.
Since 2001 I have had responsibility for primary care liaison in diabetes in Camden. A regular GP teaching programme now exists with guidelines for the management of diabetes and an email support system. I lead a Consultant-led intermediate care clinic in the community to provide safe discharge of stable patients from the hospital clinic and an assessment of new referrals in conjunction with a community multidisciplinary team in Camden http://royalfree.org.uk/default.aspx?top_nav_id=1&sel_left_nav=25&tab_id=393
I was Clinical Director for Medical Specialties (Endocrinology, HIV/ID, Haemophilia, Amyloid, Rheumatology, Dermatology and Immunology) including Out-Patient Services from January 2005 to April 2006. I was Chair of the Trust's European Working Time Directive Service, Training and Care Committee from March 2004 to August 2007 which implemented the development of a generic night-team within Medicine and Surgery led by a Nurse Coordinator. I served on the Drugs and Therapeutics Committee 2007-2011.
I have participated in the development of following national/international clinical guidelines:
- Vanderpump MPJ, Ahlquist JAO, Franklyn JA & Clayton RN on behalf of a Working Group of the Research Unit of the Royal College of Physicians and the Endocrinology and Diabetes Committee of the College and Society for Endocrinology (1996). Development of consensus for good practice and audit measures in the management of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. British Medical Journal 313:539-44.http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/313/7056/539
- Vanderpump MPJ. Epidemiology of subclinical thyroid disease: Expert Advisor for Consensus Development Conference on Subclinical Thyroid Disease, The Endocrine Society, Washington, September 2002. Surks MI, Ortiz E, Daniels GH et al (2004). Subclinical thyroid disease: scientific review and guidelines for diagnosis and management. Journal of the American Medical Association, 291:228-38.
- UK Guidelines for the Use of Thyroid Function Tests. The Association of Clinical Biochemistry, British Thyroid Association and the British Thyroid Foundation 2006 http://www.british-thyroid-ssociation.org/TFT_guideline_final_version_July_2006.pdfandhttp://www.acb.org.uk/docs/TFTguidelinefinal.pdf
- UK guidelines for the management of pituitary apoplexy. Rajasekaran S, Vanderpump M, Baldeweg S, Drake W, Lanyon M, Markey A, Plant G, Powell M, Sinha S, Wass J. (2012). Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 74:9-20. http://www.endocrinology.org/policy/docs/11-01_PituitaryApoplexy.pdf
- The use of L-T4 + L-T3 in the treatment of hypothyroidism. 2012 ETA Guidelines. Wiersinga WM, Duntas L, Fadeyev V, Nygaard B, Vanderpump MPJ. European Thyroid Journal in press.